Bangkok-Korat high speed train project to go ahead despite call to revise it

Construction News
Transport minister Arkhom Termpittayaphaisit
Transport minister Arkhom Termpittayaphaisit

The government yesterday reaffirmed its decision to go ahead with the first high speed train from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima or Korat.

The affirmation came as former finance minister Korn Chatikavanich called on the government to revise, reasoning it is not worth investment, and will bring the country in heavy interest burden.

Transport minister Arkhom Termpittayaphaisit affirmed that the 250 kilometre long Thai – China high-speed rail project will move ahead as planned with construction to begin on the Bangkok – Kaeng Koi – Nakhon Ratchasima line first.

This will then be followed by the Bangkok – Hua Hin, Bangkok – Rayong and Bangkok – Chiang Mai lines.

Mr Arkhom reaffirmed the government’s faith in the project stating that they were worth the cost as projections have revealed that 60% of revenues will be generated from real estate and commercial developments along the routes while the remaining 40% will come from passenger fares.